Most of the readers of this post might not be familiar with hydroponics. The term hydroponics was coined in 1937 by Gericke after he grew tomato vines in his backyard in a solution of nutrient without using soil. It is a subset of soilless culture which is a technique of growing plants without using soil. It is the use of nutrient solution which differentiates hydroponics from other soilless culture techniques.
Till now, following six hydroponics methods have been developed:
- Water culture: It is the simplest and least expensive method of hydroponics. A platform made up of Styrofoam holds plants. The nutrient solution is kept directly below the platform. This system consists of an air pump and an airstone. When air is supplied to the airstone; the airstone in addition to supplying oxygen to the roots also creates bubbles of nutrient solution.
- Wink system: This method of hydroponics makes use of capillary action to supply nutrient to the root. This system comprises of wicks, a reservoir and growing medium. Perlite, ProMixs, coconut fibre and vermiculite are the most popular growing mediums used in the wick system. Nutrient solution to the growing medium is supplied through wicks using capillary action.
- Flood and Drain method: This system consists of a timer controlled pump submerged in the reservoir, and a grow tray. The pump is used to flood the grow tray with nutrient solution and then drain it by drawing the nutrient solution back into the reservoir. In this system, it is required to use growing mediums which can retain more water. Coconut fibre, Rockwool, Vermiculite are the most suitable for this method.
- Drip system: Like Flood and drain method, drip system also consists of a grow tray and a timer controlled pump submerged in reservoir. The pump is turned on by the timer and nutrient solution is supplied to grow tray using drip lines. Recovery and non-recovery are the two types of drip system. In recovery drip system, the excess solution is reused. In the non-recovery drip system, the excess nutrient solution runs-off.
- Nutrient Film Technique:F.T. system consists of a pump (without any timer) submerged in the reservoir. This pump continually pumps the nutrient solution into the growing tray. This system uses air as growing medium. The solution flows over roots of plants without any interruption and then is drained back into the reservoir.
- Aeroponic: This system is quite similar to N.F.T. as it also uses air as growing medium. The root of a plant hangs in the air and is misted with nutrient solution. Roots being exposed to air are likely to get dried quickly. Therefore, misting is done for a few seconds after a few minutes using a timer controlled pump submerged in the reservoir.
Hydroponic Xpress and Aquaponics is the largest hydroponic shop, aquaponic warehouse and display centre in Perth where you can buy all hydroponic essentials at very affordable prices. Visit the website of Hydroponic Xpress to learn more about hydroponics.
Aquaponics WA have donated 4 complete aquaponics systems to Carey Baptist College as part of Greenfingers sustainable gardening concepts for Perth schools. Steve Woods presenter at Greenfingers and Maurice van Aurich show the system being set up.
Aquaponics can be referred to any type of system that combines the two conventional systems – hydroponics with aquaculture, in any symbiotic atmosphere. Hydroponics is referred to cultivation of plants in water and aquaculture is referred to the raising of aquatic animals like prawn, crayfish, fish and snails in tanks.
Maurice and Steve presenting from the 2013 Perth Royal Show and show you how to put together your aquaponics system.
The technology has advanced a lot these days and we are available with a plethora of things that contribute a lot in making our lives convenient and speedy. Hydroponics and Aquaponics are two new inventions we are available with. Let’s now explore more about them.
It is actually a science that helps us do plantation in containers without any soil in them. In lieu a solution incorporating a balanced proportion of nutrient solution and water is added. To name a few – Aztecs, Indians of Mexico on rafts, NASA in space, floating gardens in Kashmir and hanging gardens of Babylon, are some of the most famous hydroponic setups on the globe.
There are various reasons that make hydroponics much better.
- No requirement of weeds
- Less use of water
- Increased density
- Less diseases and pests
- Enhanced quality
- Crop turnaround is really quick
It is basically a blend of hydroponics and aquaculture. The water in the fish tank is circulated all the way through the grow beds filed with expanded aquaclay or clay. Nitrifying bacteria available over there starts working and convert total fish waste into various plant nutrients and the water gets filtered immaculately using a mechanical. That cleaned water is again transferred to the fish tank providing nicely cleaned water to live.
There are usually two types of Aquaponics setups available:
- NFT (Nutrient Film Technique), which is considered generally for residential premises
- Raft Design / Deep Flow, which is highly recommended for commercial premises
If you are looking forward to incorporate hydroponics and Aquaponics, it is always recommended to simply browse through YouTube channel by Hydroponic Xpress and get the most of this highly emerging technology.
New series My Garden Your Garden explains the basics of aquaponics.
What hydroponics gives would you like to begin? Permit us to take a look at a number of the essentials of hydroponics to help you achieve your effort. This could be a mixed bag of indoor cultivating that uses supplements as opposed to soil. This supplement gives everything the plants need to become steadily. There are numerous fundamental types of hydroponics gives you may need in the event that you’d wish to begin developing plants hydroponically.
Obviously, not everyone wants the same hydroponics supplies – what you get goes to change figuring on the framework sort you’d wish to utilize. Most frameworks need a supply or vast bowl, partner degree setup and pump to move the answer around and keep it legitimately ventilated, and a method for holding the plants on top of the answer, similar to a container or web. The roots ought to have the capacity to achieve the arrangement while not suffocating the plant.
Lighting is furthermore a massive concern. When acquiring these sorts of items, make a point to picture out your lighting decisions. In the event that you will be developing substantial quantities of plants, or plants that normally need loads of sunshine, you will should get genuinely vigorous lights. Remember – the objective is to emulate the sun’s daylight. A few producers pick lights basically inside of the blue and unpracticed ranges to support speedier development, especially in seedlings. In any case, these don’t appear to be the sole lights inside of the hydroponics supplies area.
Go for the best possible hydroponics supplies to actuate the least complex results out of your developing endeavors. You won’t be sad.