Almost every sector is taking the fullest advantage of developments being made in the technology. There are new gardening techniques being used which require fewer fertilizers and have more productivity. It is a kind of organic gardening in which plants are grown in a solution of nutrients, not in soil. There is a huge number of people buying hydroponics products to grow fruits and vegetables in areas where land is not fertile. It is a technique for growing healthy food with the minimum use of fertilizers and pesticides. Moreover, there is hardly any labor required. And, those who are using hydroponics products for growing food have not to worry about weeds. The nutritive value is under your control. This allows you to get better results in a brief span of time. Hydroponic gardens are simple and also very easy to maintain. You can have it in both outdoors and indoors.
Here are some of the advantages of Hydroponic gardening:
- Hydroponic gardening allows you to grow plants anywhere if you manage to meet all the requirements.
- Traditional gardening requires a huge amount of water. In hydroponics gardening, you need only 1/20th of water used in traditional gardening.
- No fertilizers, pesticides or any other chemical is required which makes it environment-friendly. There is no soil-borne disease that can damage your food. You are growing food in a controlled and disease-free environment.
- Crops in hydroponic gardening grow two times faster than the traditional gardening. So, you can produce more.
- The space required in hydroponic gardening is 20% less than the space required in traditional gardening for producing the same amount of food.
- Water in traditional gardening is hardly reused. On the other hand, water is reused multiple times in a hydroponic gardening. This not only leads to water conservation but also makes food production less expensive.
- Less labor is required to grow food in hydroponic gardens.
- No soil setup and testing are involved in hydroponic gardening.
- Plants grown in hydroponic gardening are healthier than plants grown in traditional gardening. Hydroponically grown plants have more nutritional value. For example, vitamin content in these plants is 50% more.
- Harvesting is very easy in this type of gardening.
- Don’t worry about the changing seasons. You can grow crops throughout the year.
- Hydroponic gardening can be a relaxing hobby as it can relieve stress. Even your kids will love working with you.
So, it is clear that hydroponics is more productive and eco-friendly as compared to traditional gardening. If you want to produce food while enjoying quality time with your family, you can buy hydroponic products online.
Over the years, technology has evolved and revolutionized in almost every field. Our perspective towards life as well as the world has drastically changed with the rise in technology. This tech-savvy world has almost brought our resources and tools at fingertips. But that is not it, technology is not just refrained from work or games it is much more than that. It is drastically impacting our lifestyle and well-being. Hydroponics and Aquaponics is the latest example of use of technology in an eco-friendly, natural, organic and sustainable way.
As the world continuously tries to evolve in various sectors like health, so are the gardening techniques. Hydroponics and Aquaponics are few examples of gardening methods that are drastically being adopted by people. Probably, because these techniques can yield much more than the conventional method of soil gardening. Now Let us have a close look at what these techniques are and what they can offer to us.
What is Hydroponics?
Hydroponics is an organic gardening method in which plants are grown in liquid, sand, coconut fiber, clay, gravel or any material that supports plant growth other than soil. Water carries the nutrients to the roots which are increased along with liquid plant food. All in all this method uses water and chemical nutrients to cultivate the plant.
Benefits of Hydroponics:
- No use of soil which ultimately results in saving space and other issues like weed growth, pests, and other soil-borne diseases.
- Faster growth, higher yields, and better quality crops.
- Water conservation because hydroponics uses 90% lesser water than traditional methods of gardening.
- Nutrient levels can be controlled which results in less requirement of nutrients.
- Can be grown all around the year.
What is Aquaponics?
Aquaponics combines the technique of aquaculture with hydroponics. Aquaponic is a balanced ecosystem in which fish and plants are in a symbiotic relationship that mutually benefits the plants as well as the fish. Just like, hydroponics growth media and pumps are used in this process, but Aquaponics uses organic fish waste as a nutrient for the plants. Plants naturally help in cleaning out the water in aqua tanks, so it requires less cleaning and maintenance. Aquaponics is widely used across Australia as an organic method to cultivate so many plants and crops.
Benefits of Aquaponics:
- No additional nutrients need to be used as it uses organic waste produced by the fish as a fertilizer.
- The organic fish waste can easily be disposed using the drain and can also be used in composting.
- The natural system easily balances out and does not require much maintenance. Only periodic checking of pH, nitrate and ammonia levels is required.
- Can be grown all around the year.
Which one is better?
Both systems work well as they are organic and have advantages over the conventional methods of soil gardening. However, Aquaponic seems to be more beneficial in production as well as is suitable in various environmental conditions. In Aquaponic system plants grow rapidly and the yields are better. The overall system also produces fish that benefits as an additional income, and it works on feeding the fish which is cheaper than feeding the plants. It also saves water due to recycling nature as compared to hydroponics.
From a commercial point of view, Aquaponic culture has a stronger exposition than its counterpart hydroponic. But for a gardener, it is more subjective whatever is suitable you can choose, as both are organic methods of gardening.
Hydroponics is a Latin word which means working water. However, the meaning of this word does not completely depict what hydroponics actually is. It is a soilless method of growing plants by suspending roots in water. This is a potential option for promising growth of plants when enough space is not available. This practice also enables us to grow plants at locations where the soil is not available and if available, it is not fertile enough. Continue reading
Take a tour of Perth Hydroponics Xpress and Aquaponics WA massive showroom and display centre in Canning Vale, Western Australia.
Maurice van Aurich from Aquaponics WA explains the importance of using expanded clay in an aquaponics system and why round fish tanks are a better choice than square or rectangle. Expanded clay helps convert ammonia to nitrite then to nitrate which becomes available for healthy plant growth and in turn cleans the water to recycle back to the fish tank.
Join Todd Johnson and the Greenfingers team to visit Hydroponic Xpress and Aquaponics WA showroom and display centre in Canning Vale, Perth, Western Australia.
Here’s the original Wall Garden bought to you by Aquaponics WA, Grow your own herbs, fruit and vegetables all year round in hydroponics. We also have a smaller stand alone system that you can take with you when you move. Check out the following link. Hydroponic Propagation.